How can it be that one year ago today, I met you for the first time? It seems like you were born just days ago, and at the same time, I can't remember what it is like not to have you in my life.
My grandfather was Lively Wilson, and he has always been extraordinarily special to me. When your father and I found out that we were going to have a baby boy, we instantly agreed that we would name you Lively, because we both loved my grandfather so much and thought there could be no better role model for you (with the exception, in my mind, of your own father, for whom you are also named). Your great-grandfather knew of your arrival, but I am sad that he wasn't able to see you in person. My heart broke when you were 7 days old and he died. I miss him every day. I wonder if he's somewhere that he can hear me talk to him, if he can see you, if he can watch over or guide you. I hope he can.
At the same time that I felt shattered by the loss of my grandfather, I felt whole and purposeful and hopeful by your presence in our family. Your personality was apparent even at one week old. You are happy! You are full of love. You are calm and cuddly. I instantly fell madly in love with you, and somehow I love you more each day.
I can't help but realize that your birthday is also probably the anniversary of your stroke. We can never know what happened with certainty, but you probably had a stroke due to some unknown complication of your birth. I have looked back at photos of your first day, week, your first months, to see if there is any clue that something was wrong. I have not found the slightest hint.
Your father, sister, and I love you madly, as do your many grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends. Like your namesake, you seem to have a special charm that draws people to you. People can't help but grin when they see your beautiful, toothy smile.
My dream for you: be happy. Be healthy. Know that your family loves you. Continue to radiate optimism and joy. And heal, my sweet baby. Please heal.
Happy birthday, my precious Lively.
Love,
Mama





Another beautiful post. Happy Birthday, sweet Lively!!!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Robin
Happy Birthday Lively! Beautiful post for a beautiful boy. May the next year bring more joy and fewer tears.
ReplyDelete