Thursday, October 20, 2011

A letter to Lively's class

Dear parent of a healthy "normal" child in Lively's preschool class:

I understand that it is completely normal that a 2-year-old would be curious as to why his new friend at school gets some food, water, and medicine through a tube in his belly. Your child has probably never seen anything like this before, and it may seem funny, or weird, or even a little scary to him.

But you're a doctor, right? So in all your years of training, you must have learned that some people can't eat or drink everything they need with their mouths. And certainly you must want your child to grow up showing compassion and love and friendship to others, even others who may have one too many holes in their bodies. Surely you can explain these things to your child at home, and you can teach him that Lively is a happy, playful, fun, and loving little boy even if he has a small physical difference from your child.

Surely you wouldn't come into Lively's classroom, telling his teachers that your child is coming home telling stories about Lively getting fed through his stomach, and what's the deal with that anyway? And don't the other kids and parents deserve an explanation?

Oh wait. You did do that?!?! You think the class, the school, needs an explanation of what Lively has been through the last 2 years of his life?

Well, go f#@% yourself.

Sincerely,

Lively's mama

8 comments:

  1. Wow. Katie, as a doctor, do you have the medical responsibility to inform this ignorant mouth-breather of the appropriate treatment of a cranio-rectal impaction? Just curious.
    Love,
    Uncle Robbob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi -- When my son got a g-tube, I had a friend (who also had a child with a g-tube) who sent me a doll she adapted by sewing in a real g-tube, as well as syringes and I can't remember what other typical g-tube "accessories." It was perfect when kids first came over after my son got his g-tube. Everyone wanted to play with this doll and learn how to use the g-tube.

    I wonder if you -- or a friend -- could make a similar doll by getting a cotton doll and sewing in the g-tube?

    I'm sorry you had to experience such ignorance by the other parent (and a doctor at that!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy crap, preach on sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely good for you.Mind boggling how some parents don't even try to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,
    I hope you don't mind, but I stumbled across your site from a friend's site.

    I just wanted to say how beautiful your little Lively is!
    I have a daughter that was born in February of 2010, too, so your journey feels a bit more personal to me.
    I don't know your struggles exactly, but I know how it feels to be a parent.
    It looks like you are doing a great job and I think those kids in Lively's class are really blessed to know someone like him.

    Best wishes!
    Beth

    PS: Lively's vocabulary is bigger than my daughter's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap...from a doctor?! That is mind-boggling. The kids in KayTar's class are mostly fine with her tube, we just treat it like it is no big deal and I always answer questions about it matter of factly in the classroom (because they really like to ask about it).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this letter! First I love that Lively has progressed to the point that he can go to preschool. I love that he is a happy, playful, fun and loving little boy. And I really love that you are absolutely normal in your reaction to a very uncaring, unloving adult. That person may be a doctor, but I am glad he/she is not my doctor. There seems to be no compassion or basic common sense in dealing with this situation. You handled it well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why are some people so insensitive? They just don't THINK; even so-called 'smart' people. Maybe it's that she is jealous / uncomfortable with the fact that her little child knows a bit more than she does because he has a fabulous friend named Lively?!?! Get used to it lady.

    ReplyDelete