Social and Emotional:
- Shy or anxious with strangers(just starting to be, although maybe only with doctors)
- Cries when mother or father leaves
- Enjoys imitating people in his play
- Shows specific preferences for certain people and toys
- Tests parental responses to his actions during feedings (feedings? what feedings?)
- Tests parental responses to his behavior
- May be fearful in some situations (see above re: shyness)
- Prefers mother and/or regular caregiver over all others
- Repeats sounds or gestures for attention
- Finger-feeds himself (see above re: feedings)
- Extends arm or leg to help when being dressed (nope, dressing him is like dressing a wiggly newborn, only bigger)
- Reaches sitting position without assistance (still needs lots of assistance)
- Crawls forward on belly (doesn't like his belly, nowhere near crawling)
- Assumes hands-and-knees position (hates it)
- Creeps on hands and knees (see above)
- Gets from sitting to crawling or prone (lying on stomach) position (he can do supine to prone, but I guess that doesn't count)
- Pulls self up to stand
- Walks holding on to furniture
- Stands momentarily without support (OK, he did this once for a millisecond, and I took a photo. I don't think it counts though.)
- May walk two or three steps without support
- Uses pincer grasp
- Bangs two objects together
- Puts objects into container
- Takes objects out of container
- Lets objects go voluntarily
- Pokes with index finger
- Pays increasing attention to speech (I'm not sure what this means, but I'll give him credit.)
- Responds to simple verbal requests
- Responds to "no" (reserved for Annie right now)
- Uses simple gestures, such as shaking head for “no”
- Babbles with inflection (changes in tone) (I guess)
- Says "dada" and "mama"
- Uses exclamations, such as "Oh-oh!"
- Tries to imitate words(not really sure, but sometimes I think that's what he's doing, so I'll count it)
- Explores objects in many different ways (shaking, banging, throwing, dropping)
- Finds hidden objects easily
- Looks at correct picture when the image is named
- Imitates gestures
- Begins to use objects correctly (drinking from cup, brushing hair, dialing phone, listening to receiver)
I have, in fact, very specifically avoided looking at these milestones since Lively was diagnosed with infantile spasms almost 7 months ago. I have been warned against comparing him to his sister, the kid down the street, other family members.
But I guess sometimes, I look at Lively and I think, he's fine. He's normal, right? Everything is OK. We don't really need all these doctor appointments, therapy sessions, Early On. He's a normal one-year-old. How could this baby be anything but perfect?
So I thought, I'll just go look around the internet, and surely I'll discover that he's meeting his milestones.
And then I found the list above, and it brought me back to reality. Sucky, sucky reality.
Some days, I feel pretty down. Or furious. Or defeated. And some days I wallow. This is one of those days. OK, to tell the truth, I've been struggling a bit coping-wise for awhile now.
But then tonight was a good night. Lively composed and performed a little tune for me:
And then I felt a little better.
AAAAHHHHH -- I wish they would throw all of those milestone lists out -- and all of those "what to expect" books with month to month checklists.
ReplyDeleteIt's unfortunate they didn't have a milestone related to cutest kid in the world, biggest heart, and master composer.
He is gorgeous!
I know...I've done the same thing so many times and regretted it like crazy. It is really depressing to see it in black and white. My KayTar has made really wonderful progress, progress we never thought she would be able to do when we were looking at those lists of things she couldn't do as a toddler/preschooler. She is mainstreamed this year in Kinder, we never thought she'd get there. I hope the same for Lively.
ReplyDeleteHe's such a cutie pie!!
Dear Katie,
ReplyDeleteHere's what you and Pete have shown me about your son.
He is, in his heart and mind and smiling cherubic face, the most beautiful little boy. He is, in his courage and resilience, stronger than most people I know. He is alive! and demanding a place in this world, with you and Pete and Annie at his side.
Milestones. I don't remember that word being bandied about when I was a kid. I suppose it was in some form. So let's talk about Lively's milestones.
I submit that Lively is hitting the milestones this life has outlined for him. Are they the same as Annie's? Or the kid's down the street? Are anyone's goals and obstacles the same as anyone else's? Naturally, they are not. In truth, his milestones require more determination than most we as adults face.
We want the best possible life for those we love of course, but who and how we love is the most important thing. And you all love each other so much. It's beautiful to me because it shines through all of this hardship.
In my eyes he is accomplishing things so many people—young and old—cannot summon the resolve to achieve. He puts a smile on his face despite all the difficulty being thrown his way. What a lesson I can learn from this kid. I mean some days if I have a just a tiny headache it could put me in a bad mood. Meanwhile here's Lively putting up with so much more, and still he smiles. Then he makes a song for his mom.
With your, Pete's, Annie's and everyone's love Lively will overcome and excel at so much. It will be on his own unique life's terms yes, but that's all any of us can expect. So far, given those terms, I'd say he's right on track. Alive, smiling, and playing a song.
Forget those other milestones, as a family you ALL do so much more than use the pincer grasp. It inspires and amazes us all.
Much love and support,
Jamie
I came across your note today in Hopeful Parents. Lively looks and sounds like such a handsome young man. Hang in there. There are a lot of us out here in Cyberspace rooting for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteDiane
From that little video clip he just looks like the sweetest, most easy-going little boy and you would never know that anything is wrong. It's heartbreaking to know that he's been through so much, but reassuring to see how he's still keeping a smile on his face.
ReplyDeleteMilestone lists are stupid, plain and simple. Whether your kid has challenges or is neurotypical, those lists do nothing but stress parents out. Every kid develops at their own pace and the most important thing is that Lively IS making progress, even if it's slow progress.
((hugs))
Alison
Everything Jamie said. That baby is so precious, such a wonder, such a survivor. We all have so much to learn from him.
ReplyDeleteDitto Jamie. How wise. And I loved the video, and the glossy red hair.
ReplyDeleteHi. I read your post at Hopeful Parents today and stopped on over. What adorable children! And Lively, well, his cheeks look very kissable :-)
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about comparing to the milestones. In fact, when I compare Emma to her milestones I could never even highlight one item that she was meeting. So, congrats to Lively for meeting so many of them. It might not feel like many to you, but it looks really good from where I sit and I applaud all his achievements!